Aerial thermal imaging is used to search for missing persons or fugitive criminals. However, much more is possible with the help of a multicopter, especially as drones cost a fraction of helicopters to purchase and operate. Drone-based thermography is as versatile as the drone itself. As it involves the identification of heat sources or temperature differences, the following areas are opened up.
- Firefighting (detection of fire sources)
- Security and surveillance (border security and official control / law enforcement / search for missing persons)
- Wildlife observation / wildlife monitoring (hunting / documentation / general animal observation)
- Building areas (building diagnostics / thermal insulation / flat roof inspection / structural analysis / moisture)
- Industrial inspection (pipework / electrical power measurement / solar systems and photovoltaics)
- Maritime and shipping (sea rescue / oil spills / pilots)
- Agriculture, forestry (irrigation status / health status of plants / preventive wildlife protection measures, such as locating game before harvesting and localising fawns)
Advantages of drone-based thermal imaging cameras
With the help of unmanned aerial systems, expensive helicopter missions can be avoided and costs kept comparatively low. In addition, areas that are difficult to access can also be flown over. Furthermore, the use of drones is much safer because, for example, no helicopter pilot is put in danger. Another advantage is that a thermal imaging camera can see perfectly through fog and smoke. Drones may therefore become part of the basic equipment of emergency services in the future. When inspecting industrial facilities, it is often not necessary to interrupt operations and can therefore be carried out in parallel with normal operations.
Thanks to the numerous mounting options, a thermal imaging camera can be integrated into a variety of UAS (Unmanned Aerial System). Operation is extremely simple and requires no prior knowledge of thermal imaging or camera technology. It enables the recording of radiometrically analysable data formats. Airclip offers various thermal imaging cameras.